The two administrative systems prevailing in the district revenue
and local self-government, under the revenue system, the district
is divided into two revenue divisions, 6 taluks and 91 villages. The
two revenue divisions are Alappuzha division comprising Cherthala,
Ambalapuzha and Kuttanad taluks consisting of 47 villages and Chengannur
division comprising Karthikapally, Chengannur and Mavelikkara taluks
consisting of 44 villages. For census purpose, Aroor, Arookutty, Kadamthuruthu,
Tanneermukkam Vadakku, Thaneermukkam Thekku, Vayalar East and Kokkothamangalam
village, except the portion included in Cherthala municipality are
treated in the 1981 census as census towns based on the threefold
criteria adopted for treating a place as census town.
I. Administrative Divisions :CT- Census Town M- Municipality UA- Urban Area
Taluks : Cherthala, Ambalapuzha, Kuttanad, Karthikappally, Chengannur, Mavelikkara.
Development Blocks : Thaicattussery, Pattanakkad, Kanjikuzhi, Aryad, Ambalapuzha, Champakulam, Veliyanad, Chengannur, Haripad, Mavelikkara, Bharanickavoo, Muthukulam (Major portion), Kulanada (small portion) .
Towns and Urban Agglomarations having population less than one lakh : Aroor (CT), Arookutty (CT), Kodamthuruthu (CT), Mannancherry (CT), Kayamkulam (M), Chengannur (M), Mavelikkara (M)
Cities and Urban Agglomerations having population one lakh and above :
(a) Cherthala (M), (b) vayalar East Village portion (CT), (c) Kokkothamangalam (CT), (d) Thanneermukkom (CT), (e) Muhamma (CT)
(a) Alappuzha (M) : (i) Kalarcode (OG), (ii) Punnapra (OG), (b) Komalapuram (CT).
II. Parliamentary constituencies along assembly segments (1996)
No. & Name of Parliamentary Constituencies :
15 - Alappuzha, 16 - Mavelikkara.
No. & Name of Assembly Segments :
97. Aroor - Aroor, Ezhupunna, Kadakarappally, Kodamthurthu, Kuthiathodu, Pattanakad, Thuravoor and Vayalar Panchayats in Sherthalai taluk.
98. Sherthalai - Sherthalai municipality and Chennam Pallipuram, Mattathilbhagom, Panavally, Thycattussery and Sherthalai South panachayats in Sherthalai taluk.
99. Mararikulam - Kanjikuzhy, Marraikulam North, Muhamma and Thaneermukkom Panchayats in Sherthalai taluk : and Aryad, Mannancherry and Mararikulam - South panchayats in Ambalapuzha taluk.
100. Alleppey - Alleppey municipality.
101. Ambalapuzha - Ambalapuzha, Punnapra, Purakad and Thakazhi (part) panchayats in Kuttanad taluk.
102. Kuttanad - Kavalam, Muttar, Neelamperoor, Pulincunnu, Ramankari, Veluyanad, Champakulam, Edathua and Thalavady panchayats in Kuttanad taluk : and Veeyapuram panchayat in Karthikappally taluk.
103. Haripad - Cheruthana, Chingoli, Haripad, Karthikappally, Karuvatta, Kumarapuram, pallipad, Thrikunnapuzha, Cheppad and Arattupuzha panchayats in Karthikappally taluk.
The community wise break up [OBC] in Alleppey is Muslims [9%], Christians [25%], Scheduled Castes [8%], Ezhavas [30%], Nairs [13%] and Brahmins [4%], of the Scheduled Castes, Pulayans [5%] are the most numerous.
104. Kayamkulam - Kayamkulam municipality and Kandalloor, Muthukulam,Pathiyoor, Devikulangara and Krishnapuram panchayats in Karthikappally taluk.
108. Chengannur - Venmoney, Ala, Bhudhanoor, Chengannur, Cheriyanad, Mannar, Pandanad, Puliyoor and Thiruvandoor panchayats in Chengannur Taluk.
109. Mavelikkara - Mavelikara municipality and Chennithala, Thripperumthara, Chettikulangara, Mavelikkara, Thekkekara, Bharanikkavu and Vallikunnam Panchayats in Mavelikkara Taluk.
110 Pandalam . Thazhakara, Noornad, Palamel, Pandalam Thekkera and Mavelikara Thamarakulam Panchayats in Mavelikara Taluk.